Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Current project

OK, I have now torn my sitting room to pieces and have begun the trimming. I have finally come around to the using a brush theory rather than the tape and paint theory. My friend Nina has informed me that the "professionals" rarely tape. They use a good brush and a steady hand. It takes longer for me to edge but I don't know if that is really true when you consider the put the tape up, take the tape down and fix all the oops that leaked through. My husband is always such a great help with painting. After the edging job he did in our last homes master bath I wont let him edge anymore. I have discovered I am an edging snob. I hate when you "boff" the ceiling and of course I never know what color the ceiling is and have no ceiling paint. So instead I just try to be very very careful. So alas, I do the meticulous edge work, clean the walls, fix the holes, take everything off and out and then he comes home-picks up a roller and says-I'll help. I have finally told him he can't do that anymore because that is the icing on top of all the work. It's just not fair to do all that work and then not get to do the rolling. I will but up pictures when I am done. Next is the shared girls room. Since we have 3 girls and 2 rooms for them (the boys are the youngest so they will always share a room according to the girls) Becca and Roz will both be in middle school and will be sharing next year. To console my poor Becca from not having her own room she is designing, decorating and painting her room. She is doing it as a young women value project so we are on stand by until she gets the small requirements out of the way first. She also refuses to have the new bedding put on before she moves in. Eliza may contaminate it. As always, my house is in total disarray, the kitchen is a mess but I am painting!

7 comments:

brenda said...

Sounds great. I don't know how you get everything done. My kitchen is a mess and I am not painting.

Hope to see you at the battle tomorrow! I'm on a tight schedule, but I'm going to try to get there.

Bridget said...

Yeah! I can't wait to see. I am a painting snob too. I never tape. A good brush is key. I take my time and I have as good of an edge as the painters who did our house. See you this afternoon.

mahina said...

you are an amazing woman, sarah! how do you do everything you do? you really are totally redoing everything inside your house! that's awesome!

Anonymous said...

I can't even comment on this because i'm so envious. I still have the tape up around my master bath mirror from two years ago when we moved in. (I'm not joking.) Does anyone want a service project?

Anonymous said...

Okay, I disagree with ya, Sarah. I just had a "professional" paint a wall in my living room and he taped everything but the ceiling edge and caulked it so nothing would leak through. It's fabulous! I painted the strip on Mikayla's wall by putting up Frog Tape and then painting first with the wall color and then with the color I wanted the stripe to be. The wall color "sealed" the edges and I only had a couple of little bleeds that I touched up with a watercolor brush. I think it's inevitable that your hand will shake after trying to be steady for so long. I don't know though, we'll have to inspect each other's edges!

Kudos to you for tackling room after room! I just did my living room and Mikayla's room and I'm going to sit on my haunches for about a year before moving on.....

Can Becca come and hang out again on a Friday night? Or maybe over spring break.

Love ya! Dina

sarahseekingsanity said...

Dina, I agree the caulk way is the best, but I don't have the patience to try and make that straight.

Rachael said...

I cut in. Tried the tape and it was much more hassle than it is worth. I also paint my ceilings. It finishes off a room.