Monday, April 28, 2008

Becca goes to Boston

Well Becca and I made it through our exciting trip to Boston Town. We flew out the red-eye on Thursday night and came back late Monday evening. It was fast but we actually did quite a bit. On about 2 hours of sleep we walked the entire Boston Commons park and the walking tour. They have actually painted or placed red bricks throughout the city to make the trail. We went to the top of the bunker hill memorial, all 294 steps. Then I got to spend time with my amazing friend Judianne Peterson who was kind enough to let us stay with her. We made it to Plimoth and visited the reenactment sites of the Indians and Mayflower settlers. I think Becca enjoyed shopping for tee shirts and souvenirs for the siblings the best. It was helpful as Roz was studying the time and area right now and I had all this data to share. We also toured the mansions in Newport RI. Becca said she was a bit tired and creeped out by all the heads on everything. One home actually had heads for all the arm chair handles. It really helps you to understand what they mean when they say "the gilded age". I can't imagine all that money and trouble only to have a few months out of the year for a few years most of these families got to use and show off their homes. America's royalty were very interesting. We also studied many authors of the early 1800's and toured their homes, countryside and even grave yards. Sleepy Hollow really isn't that scary. I was glad to find all my family still alive when I got home. Of course it was cold and rainy in Boston the whole time and sunny and beautiful here.

9 comments:

Rachael said...

Sounds like a great trip. That must but a great place to visit with all of the historical sites. Sure glad to have you back.

Liz Smith said...

Hi sarah!

long time no chat! how fun that you got to take becca to boston! im happy to read you guys had a fun time. :)

we're excited to see you guys...even though it's still so far away. we cant wait! :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an amazing trip! I am totally jealous of you getting to see all the historical sites. You'll have to tell me more about it when I see you. By the way, where did you get the blueberries for that salad you made us? They were amazing! I want to send Anton to buy us some. And I need the recipe.

Mandy said...

How fun for Becca and you to do that together. Looks like a fun trip. You got to see some great sites. I wish we would've spent more time in Boston when we went

mahina said...

i love this idea of taking a trip when they are 12 with just you! what great memories your kids will have!!

Elizabeth Dimit said...

I've never been to Boston. Sounds like so much fun! And what a great tradition. I'd love to incorporate that when my kids are 12. Geez, that sounds so far away! :-)

brenda said...

Cool experience. It seems empowering for both of you to travel together. I would be a little intimidated to plan something like that.

Sarah said...

I"ve always wanted to go to Boston. I think it's awesome that you guys did that.

jen crosby said...

What a great adventure for the two of you! I love that you made it educational, you studied on vacation! That deserves the mother of the year award!